400 years of history

The building on this site was first founded in 1624 by Anthony Edmunds as a charity school for 12 boys. The freehold of the building still remains in trust bearing his name. 

In common with many schools founded in the 16tth and 17th century the school was a “Bluecoat” school. The first Bluecoat school was founded in 1552 in London and led to many other similar schools being founded by Merchants in other cities. Pupils at these schools wore blue coats, hence the name.

The school underwent various modifications in 1830, and has since been used as a boy’s school, then a junior mixed school, a church school and a French school. It then became the Church Hall before finally becoming the Village Hall in 1979.